YOUR PERSONAL HISTORY--for yourself, your children, grandchildren and on and on.....
A box of faded photographs
I opened yesterday,
And instantly my memories
Were carried far away
To many friends and places
From years so long ago,
As I sorted through those photographs
Of folks I used to know.
There were some of family members
That are no longer here,
And photographs of sweethearts
I once thought very dear.
Thoughts swiftly raced and tumbled
On things that are no more,
As I daydreamed over photographs
And happy days of yore.
Ernest Jack Sharpe
"Grandma & Grandpa, Tell Me Your Story" -another page to get you started with your personal History
Questions to help you get started writing your story--if you only answer one a day, in less than six months you will have a great history!
Back to Top of Page
/ Grandma & Grandpa, Tell Me Your Story
Or, you could decorate a jar and put these questions each on a slip of paper to be taken out one at a time and answered--a "Journal Jar".
Here is a poem I found that goes with it really well:
Preserve your memories - seal them up well.
What you forget, you can never retell.
But a journal that's kept fresh on the shelf
Will help someone through rough times --
Maybe even yourself!
- What is your full name and why were you named it?
- Were you named after somebody else?
- Did you have a nickname as you were growing up?
- If you did, what was it and why did they call you that?
- Have you had other nicknames as an adult?
- What do family members call you now?
- Where were you born and when?
- Do you remember hearing your grandparents describe their lives? What did they say?
- Do you remember your great-grandparents? What do you know about them?
- Who was the oldest person you can remember in your family as a child? What do you remember about them?
- Do you remember your family discussing world events and politics?
- Was there a chore you really hated doing as a child?
- What would you consider to be the most important inventions that have been made during your lifetime?
- How is the world now different from what it was like when you were a child?
- What kinds of books did you like to read?
- Do you remember having a favorite nursery rhyme or bedtime story? What was it?
- Do you ever remember not having enough food to eat because times were hard for your family?
- What were your favorite toys and what were they like?
- What were your favorite childhood games?
- What were your schools like?
- How did you get to school?
- What was your favorite subject in school and why?
- What subject in school was always the easiest for you?
- What was your least favorite subject in school and why?
- Who was your favorite teacher and why were they special?
- What school activities and sports did you participate in?
- Did you and your friends have a special hang-out where you liked to spend time? Where was it and what did you do there?
- Were you ever given any special awards for your studies or school activities?
- How many years of education have you completed?
- Do you have a college degree? If so, what was your field of study?
- Did you get good grades?
- Did you like school?
- What did you usually wear to school? Describe it.
- Were there any fads during your youth that you remember vividly?
- How old were you when you started dating?
- Do you remember your first date? Describe the circumstances.
- Name a good friend that you have known for the longest period of time? How many years have you been friends?
- Has there ever been anyone in your life that you would consider to be your kindred spirit or soul mate? If so, who were they and why did you feel a special bond to them?
- How did you meet the person that you would later marry? Describe him/her?
- Do you remember where you went on the first date with your spouse?
- How long did you know him/her before you got married?
- Describe your wedding proposal.
- When and where did you get married?
- Describe your wedding ceremony. Who was there?
- Did you have a honeymoon? If so, where did you go?
- How would you describe your spouse? What do (did) you admire most about them?
- How long have you been married (or were you married)?
- What wise advice would you give to a grandchild on their wedding day?
- How many children did you have all together?
- What were their names, birth dates and birthplaces?
- Do you remember anything that your children did when they were small that really amazed you?
- What is one of the most unusual things that one of your children did regularly when they were small?
- What was the funniest thing you can remember that one of your children said or did?
- If you had it to do all over again, would you change the way you raised your family? How?
- What did you find most difficult about raising children?
- What did you find most rewarding about being a parent?
- Did you spoil any of your children? How?
- Were you a strict or lenient parent?
- Did you find that you had to treat each of your children differently? If so, why?
- How did you first hear that you were a grandparent and how did you feel about it?
- What advice do you have for your children and grandchildren?
- As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- What was your first job?
- What kinds of jobs have you had?
- How did you decide on your career?
- Did you make enough money to live comfortably?
- How long did you have to work each day at your job?
- How old were you when you retired?
- What were the hardest choices that you ever had to make? Do you feel like you made the right choices?
- Who was the person that had the most positive influence on your life? Who were they and what did they do?
- Is there a person that really changed the course of your life by something that they did? Who were they and what did they do?
- Do you remember someone saying something to you that had a big impact on how you lived your life? What was it?
- What wars have been fought during your lifetime? How did you feel about them?
- If you served in the military, when and where did you serve and what were your duties?
- If you served in the military, were you ever injured in the line of duty? What were the circumstances and what were your injuries?
- What U.S. President have you admired the most and why?
- As you see it, what are the biggest problems that face our nation and how do you think they could be solved?
- How tall are you?
- What color was your hair as a young child and then as an adult?
- What color are your eyes?
- Where have you lived as an adult? List the places and the years that you lived there.
- Why are you living where you are today?
- Do you wish you lived somewhere else (If so, where would it be)?
- Describe your general health.
- What major illnesses or health problems do you remember having?
- Do you have any health problems that are considered hereditary in nature? If so, what are they?
- What do you do regularly for exercise?
- Do you have any bad habits now or in the past? What were they?
- Have you ever been the victim of a crime? What happened?
- Have you ever been in a serious accident?
- Has anyone ever saved your life? Describe.
- Have you ever saved anyone else's life? Describe.
- Have you ever been hospitalized? If so, what?
- Have you ever had surgery? If so, what for?
- If you could instantly change something about yourself, what would it be?
- Have you ever had an experience that you would consider to be super-natural or psychic? Did you ever know something was going to happen before it actually did? What was it?
- What do you usually dream about?
- What church, if any, do you attend regularly?
- Describe your religious beliefs.
- Do you believe in an after life?
- What was the most stressful experience that you ever lived through? What helped you get through it?
- What is the scariest thing that has ever happened to you personally?
- What kinds of musical instrument(s) have you learned to play?
- Would you consider yourself creative?
- What things have you made that others have enjoyed?
- How would you describe your sense of humor?
- What activities have you especially enjoyed as an adult?
- What are your hobbies?
- What did you like to do when you were not working?
- What is the most amazing thing that has ever happened to you?
- What is the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you?
- Have you ever met any famous people? Describe what happened.
- What organizations and groups have you belonged to?
- Have you ever won any special awards or prizes as an adult? What were they for?
- Describe a time and place when you remember feeling truly at peace and happy to be alive. Where were you and what were you doing?
- What is the most beautiful place you have ever visited and what was it like?
- What is the longest trip that you have ever gone on? Where did you go?
- What has been your favorite vacation? Where did you go and why was it special?
- What was the favorite place you ever visited and what was it like?
- What pets have you had?
- Do you have a favorite story about a pet? What is it?
- Is there anything you have always wanted to do, but haven't?
- What is your favorite style of music?
- What is your favorite musical instrument?
- Who is your favorite musical group?
- What is your favorite song?
- Who is your favorite singer?
- Who is your favorite movie star?
- What is your favorite movie?
- Who is your favorite artist?
- What is your favorite painting?
- Who is your favorite poet?
- What is your favorite poem?
- What is your favorite TV program?
- Who is your favorite author?
- What is your favorite book?
- What is your favorite season?
- What is your favorite tree?
- What is your favorite flower?
- What is your favorite holiday?
- What is your favorite color?
- What is your favorite sport?
- Who is your favorite athlete?
- What is your favorite animal?
- What is your favorite meal?
- What is your favorite fruit?
- What is your favorite vegetable?
- What is your favorite candy?
- What is your favorite cookie?
- What is your favorite drink?
- What is your favorite restaurant?
- What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?
- What is your favorite board game?
- What is your favorite card game?
Gramma Lowe's Crafts Home Page Gramma Lowe's Recipes & Thoughts Home Page
Fun & Food Calendars